Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Mechanics and Plant-geeks


So goes the old adage: Mechanics drive the worst cars. Right? Unfortunately the same (per se) goes for Horticulturists. We have the worst gardens. Oh sure, there are plant-geeks the world over that have fantastic landscapes. Brilliantly designed, flawlessly constructed and meticulously manicured. They are, in my opinion, the exception, not the rule. And rather freakish, I think.




Of course by now, you have a fairly good idea of what my landscape does not look like! :0) My landscaping consists of a hodge-podge of plants that I just could not live without in my various jaunts to the nursery, any nursery. I do have to say, though, that they're all well placed in terms of their cultural requirements, or rather their growing needs. They are not, by any stretch of the imagination, grouped according to anything: foliage, flower color or timing, complimentary or contrasting.... or any other reason. Here's my design process: Oh, I LOVE that plant. Now, where to put it? Sure, there looks good...... The resulting look is more chaos than beauty. But what the hay!






This morning I was ever-so-rudely reminded of my lack of organization while turning over my raised planting beds. Yeah yeah, I know this should have been done weeks ago if not months. But I have been swamped growing plants in the greenhouse for other people's gardens.... that's my excuse for today anyhow. And besides with all the people, kids and dogs that will be here this weekend, it just does not pay to put in my garden before the throng goes home..... and yes, that's now my story and I'm stickin' to it.






So........ this morning I was digging in my raised beds, like I said, when I heard the most bizarre noise. What the .......it squeaked. I thought I had found some kind of animal and was going to have to do the unthinkable. While I'm fretting, it occurs to me that I ought to figure out what IT really is. So, I turned over a couple more shovels-full of soil. Turns out it's an old "squeaker" from when my dogs were pups. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!! Maybe if I were a better gardener I wouldn't have had this little stupid trauma in the first place..... :P Thank goodness my hat hides any kind of blush-of-embarrassment.








And now that I've posted this. I'm regretting that you know my dirty little secret...... yeah, that's my pink shovel...........;)

No comments:

Post a Comment